Return to moorhen home
- 1 Feb 1999:
- First Moorhen nest building - the earliest ever.
- 24 Feb 1999:
- Moorhen eggs being incubated. During incubation major
battles took place with another pair of birds. The
incumbents kept their territory but the male looks like
a boxer who lost.
- 13 Apr 1999:
- First Moorhen hatched - soon to be 7
- 17 Apr 1999:
- Another first - two more moorhens are nesting on
'Round Pond' (see Birds eye view) with 2 eggs so far.
regular skirmishes between the ponds but the territories
- 25 Apr 1999:
- 8 eggs being incubated on 'Round pond'. First cuckoo
- 12 May 1999:
- At least 3 hatchings on 'Round pond'. Without the
'hide' that is our house they all flee and its hard to
brood on main pond now down to 2 after suspected fox
attack (at 03:28 one morning last week).
- 15 June 1999:
- First of what became 6 youngsters hatched on the main
- 11 Aug 1999:
- 4 new hatching on the main pond (unusually from a
nest on the island rather than the reed bed) being fed
by the 2
adults and an assortment of juveniles. They seemed to
totally ignore the 95% eclipse!
Logs from Previous