Return to moorhen home
Log for 2006
- A few changes to the format for this year:-
- The section Image of the Day
is just that, and contains a daily updated (web
connection permitting) image normally
taken in the previous few days, plus some explanatory
- Hence this section is now primarily maintained for
non-visual items with references to the daily image.
- The images are linked directly as 'pop-up images' -
they should appear in a separate windows when you click
without losing your place on this page. Alternatively you
can visit Image of the Day Archive
and text search it for title
words of interest.
- 21 Jan 2006
- 2 Mallard ducks on main pond - 1st of the season.
- 23 Jan 2006
- Screeching sound & then flutter of wings on CCTV
sound long after dark. Most likely an owl hunting.
- 28 Jan 2006
- Sparrowhawk spent 5 minutes moving about the pots
outside study. It became a common visitor in March -
Popup Image and Popup Image.
- 07 Feb 2006
- Extended 3 way moorhen fight on main pond - first of
- 26 Mar 2006
- About 30 clumps of frogspawn at East edge of the
Round pond. A few frogs seen, all much darker
colouration than our
sightings from the past, Maybe significant in avoiding UV
damage? See Popup Image .
- 14 Apr 2006
- Spring has 'sprung' with a load of 2006 firsts:-
- 2 swallows seen several times and drinking on the wing
from the Duck Shaped pond (photo too poor to show).
- Dozens of bees on the blossom of many May trees
making them hum.
- Blossom on Blackthorn, Cherry and Almond.
- Heron at Duck pond after the frogs.
- Butterflies: Peacock, Small Tortoishell and Brimstone.
- 7 spot Ladybirds mating and our first sighting ever of
a 2 spot with reverse colours. See Popup Image .
19 Apr 2006
First skylark over E fields for many years no longer trampled by cattle)
04 Jun 2006 21:30
Tawny owl on Gallows with Female muntjac deer walking underneath
06 Jun 2006 p.m.
2 carrion crow chicks seen on branches of S centre Llelandii
16 Jun 2006
4 Baby moorhen being fed on the main pond by both parents
21 Jun 2006
7 Baby moorhen being fed on the main pond by both parents.
28 Jun 2006
Pair of Muntjac in SE area and then Fawn spotted which ran into Bluebell dell